Employers Compensation Costs Increase

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released their quarterly report today on the status of “Compensation Costs” i.e. how much employers are having to pay employees. Wages and salaries
are considered to make up about 70 percent of compensation costs, while  benefits make up the remaining 30 percent of compensation.

Over the most recent quarter (3 months) on a seasonally adjusted basis wages and salaries for civilian workers increased ½% while benefits increased slightly more at 0.6%. Over the last 12 months compensation costs for civilian workers increased 2.4 percent.

According to the BLS’ definition Civilian Workers includes both private industry workers and state and local government workers.

Private Industry Workers

As of the end of June 2017, compensation costs for private industry workers increased 2.4 percent over the year this was the same increase as the 12 months ending in June 2016. However, the breakdown was slightly different this year. Wages and salaries increased 2.4 percent for the current 12-month period while it was 2.6% last year. The cost of benefits rose 2.2% this year and 1.7% last year.

State and Local Government Workers

Compensation costs for state and local government workers increased 2.6 percent for the 12-month period ending in June 2017. In June 2016, the increase was 2.3 percent. Wages and salaries increased 2.1% this year and 1.7% for the year ending in June 2016. Benefit costs increased 3.2% for the year ending in June 2017 and 3.4% in 2016.

Category

3 Month

Seasonally

Adjusted

12 Month

Not Seasonally

Adjusted

CIVILIAN WORKERS[1] March
2017
June
2017
June
2016
Sept.
2016
Dec.
2016
Mar.
2017
June
2017
Compensation[2] 0.8% 0.8% 2.3% 2.3% 2.2% 2.4% 2.4%
Wages and salaries 0.8% 0.8% 2.5% 2.4% 2.3% 2.5% 2.3%
Benefits 0.7% 0.7% 2.0% 2.3% 2.1% 2.2% 2.5%
PRIVATE INDUSTRY
Compensation[2] 0.8% 0.8% 2.4% 2.3% 2.2% 2.3% 2.4%
Wages and salaries 0.9% 0.9% 2.6% 2.4% 2.3% 2.6% 2.4%
Benefits 0.6% 0.6% 1.7% 1.8% 1.8% 1.9% 2.2%
STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
Compensation[2] 0.6% 0.6% 2.3% 2.6% 2.4% 2.6% 2.6%
Wages and salaries 0.6% 0.6% 1.7% 2.0% 2.1% 2.2% 2.1%
Benefits 0.8% 0.8% 3.4% 3.7% 3.1% 3.1% 3.2%

Note that State and Local Government benefits increased roughly twice as much as private industry.

[1] Includes private industry and state and local government.
[2] Includes wages and salaries and benefits.

You might also like:

Image courtesy of Blogpiks.com

Today’s Headlines

Medical Personnel Shortage: How This Vacuum Will Impact the Careers of Health Professionals

There's been quite a bit of discussion lately about the shortage of medical personnel in many areas. This is both a problem and an opportunity. It's certainly a … [Read More...]

September Unemployment Rate Down

On Friday October 6th the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released their monthly employment survey results for the month of September. Every month the BLS … [Read More...]

What’s Costing You the Most in Your Hiring Process?

What's Costing You the Most in Your Hiring Process? Hiring the right personnel is one of the most important tasks of an HR Manager. If the wrong person is … [Read More...]

5 Old-school Careers That Still Bring Success and Fulfillment

In a time when technology has such a strong presence, you may wonder if old-school careers still matter. While some of them have faded, plenty are still popular … [Read More...]

Unemployment News

BLS Monthly Employment Report for April

The US economy added 160,000 "seasonally adjusted" jobs in April, the lowest figure in the last seven months. The adjusted U-3 unemployment rate remained steady at 5%. The Unadjusted U-3 fell to 4.7% while the … [Read More...]

More Posts from this Category

About Tim McMahon

Work by editor and author, Tim McMahon, has been featured in Bloomberg, CBS News, Wall Street Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Forbes, Washington Post, Drudge Report, The Atlantic, Business Insider, American Thinker, Lew Rockwell, Huffington Post, Rolling Stone, Oakland Press, Free Republic, Education World, Realty Trac, Reason, Coin News, and Council for Economic Education. Connect with Tim on Google+

Speak Your Mind

*